Sunday, October 27, 2013

Brunch at the Olympic Club

Today the Brown and Yale cohorts received the amazing opportunity to meet with Brown and Yale graduates who can aid us with our college applications. On top of all that, we got to meet over brunch at the Olympic Club, which was breathtakingly beautiful.

A senior in high school this year, it was really helpful for me to hear the different perspectives of Brown graduates. While Peggy majored in Economics, and Blake was a Pre-Med, I saw one commonality among all of the Brown alums: they all were so happy to have attended Brown.

Peggy, who graduated in 1984, said that she was not sure what she wanted to study, and ended up majoring in Economics by default. Now, she is a successful lawyer. She said that even if what you major in is not what you end up doing as a career, having a background in anything can help in other fields. I found this piece of advice very helpful.

Blake was one of the few students who was accepted into Brown's program in which you take eight years of medical classes, without having to go through the process of applying to graduate school. I thought it was really impressive that he was able to know as a 17-year-old high school student that he wanted to be a doctor. I have an idea of what I want to do and what I am interested in, but I do not have a definite career mapped out.

We got to tour the Olympic Club, which was so incredibly nice. Every patch of grass on the golf fields was perfectly green, every glass perfectly polished, and every piece of furniture perfectly placed.

When we got our food, I was so overwhelmed with all of the choices. The buffet included: fresh fruit, pastries, french toast, potatoes, omelets, and more. I ended up taking way too much food, and was not able to finish it all.

It was really fun and helpful to get to start planning more Mentor-Mentoree events. We decided that we will have a Pier Day in San Francisco where we will go to an interactive theater, have lunch, and learn some more from each other.

I am so grateful that I was able to go all the way to Brown, and I am grateful now that I am able to receive even more help from the ILC. I couldn't ask for more help applying to college.



No comments: