Sunday, October 27, 2013

Looks Like Mt. Olympus

Today I had a lovely brunch at the Olympic Club, in San Francisco. As guests of Mr. Izzy Ramsey we had the exclusive opportunity of enjoying a fantastic brunch at the oldest athletic club in the US. When we first arrived Mr. Ramsey gave us a tour of the country club, which was quite impressive.

Afterwards we gathered in a lounge that had a lovely fireplace and a large portrait above the mantle. Then we were led into a small room where we were offered drinks of our choice and we spent a few minutes socializing. I spoke to three Brown alumni--Lauren, Blake, and Simon, about their experience and my preparation for college. One thing I must admit is that the Brown alumni have me persuaded to want to attend Brown. My main concern is the academic environment. I want to attend a school that cultivates an environment in which students are encouraged to help one another. The last thing I want in college is competition, and all of the Brown alumni that I spoke to did not experience that.

It was finally time to have our brunch. It was buffet style so we were offered a variety of food. While we served ourselves we listened to the piano music played by an actual pianist. After we got our food, I was able to have an in-depth conversation about college with Lauren Brodsky. We talked about a variety of topics relating to education.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about my future. My friends who are seniors are beginning to fill out their college applications, so I've had a list of questions about the college application  process. I also had a few questions about the stressful topic--money. After speaking with Lauren, I feel more prepared for college.


It was a wonderful gathering and I am looking forward to seeing them again. Each time I attend these alumni gatherings I realize that my nervous jitters weren't necessary. The mentors are so kind and helpful in making us feel at ease. Without the help of Mr. Charles Ramsey, Ms. Madeline Kronenberg, Mr. Don Gosney, Mr. Izzy Ramsey, and the Yale and Brown alumni this would not be possible. I would like to thank them for their benevolence and their generosity. This was a great way to spend my Sunday.

The Olympic Club

No comments: