Monday, April 15, 2013

The Beginning of My New Adventure




Hello, my name is Alicia Green and I am a sophomore at De Anza High School. I attended my first blogging session on April 13, 2013.

Welcome to my tutorial session blog! This summer I will be attending the Women and Leadership program at Brown University, but first I have to learn how to blog and find out what I need to do to make this trip a success.

I wish I could say that the tutorial started off on a good note, but unfortunately this is not the case. My father had to drop my mother off to work and then take me to the tutorial. Although this seems like a simple task it was actually quite difficult, because my father and I both did not know our way around Hercules High School or where room 106 was located. Since I was late I immediately walked into the room, signed in, and tried to get Internet access.

The computer lab was very small and it felt as if we were sitting on top of each other. Unfortunately, the school district blocked us from going on certain websites or viewing the entire website. This was incredibly frustrating since we needed Internet access to practice blogging.
If only this was the actual computer lab



As we did the best with what we had Don came around to each individual student and helped them learn the proper format that we will be using this summer. Don was helpful and told us the correct font sizes, margin alignments, and gave us a packet filled with examples of how to make our blogs look presentable. Inside the packet were also items that we would need to purchase and the rules that we should follow when we are at Brown University: 
  • Check your emails at least everyday and respond when asked to do so.

  • Be on time

  • Follow Instructions 

During tutorial I learned how to crop images, add links, and  the correct format when adding a post on my blog. I learned that adding captions and pictures makes our blog more interesting while keeping the reader's attention when they view our blog.

Although I will miss the Bay Area I will have to learn how to adapt to being so far away from home.  I have to learn how to do my own laundry and make sure that I get to class on time. I am very excited and appreciative of the opportunity to go to Brown University.

2 comments:

Don Gosney said...

When I first saw your posted photo of the computer lab I was shocked. I just don’t remember things looking so good. Then my feeble mind caught on.

If this is the lab at De Anza then I definitely need to arrange to use it for our next tutorial.

Unknown said...

No this is not the lab at De Anza, but I think that our lab is just as good.