Friday, July 19, 2013

The Dream Summer


Before I was accepted to be part of the ILC, I already knew from rote that it is an exclusive, life-changing program that provides unique opportunities. However, there was no way for me to understand the significance of it all until I returned home after completing the program. Everything, from the interview to the last night in Providence, contributed to the whole experience.

Similar to some of my peers, I thought that taking a summer course at an Ivy League school and experiencing rapid personal growth and development would be challenging and full of obstacles, but it wasn’t like that at all. Perhaps it was because I anticipated and mentally prepared myself for it, but probably the most important part was learning to adapt quickly. Summer@Brown was great with helping students feel comfortable at Brown and offered various recreational activities every day, allowing many opportunities to have fun and socialize, and had college discussion sessions for those interested in learning more about college life.

Having visited four other Ivy schools and talking to the students and admissions officers, I’m much more motivated to try harder academically so that I might have a chance being admitted to an Ivy League school. Being some of the top academic and research institutions in the world, those universities have a lot of resources to offer to their students, regardless of financial background, making their world-class education affordable for all.

I really enjoyed living away from home for three weeks. From little things, such as doing laundry, to taking care of all my possessions and controlling the amount of money I spend, I feel much more comfortable living independently when the time comes. With the feeling of independence, I also feel more open and confident when talking to people I’ve never met before. Before, I would always be a bit hesitant to talk to strangers.

I’m very glad that to have had this opportunity to really broaden my horizons and become a more mature and confident person. With new experiences and discoveries come more opportunities and room for improvement that I hope to complete in the future. One could not ask for a better summer program. I’m deeply indebted to those who give their continued support for the ILC. And of course, I have not forgotten what I said in my essays and in my interview; I’ll do my best to give back to the community by sharing what I learned with my peers and encourage them to aim for higher education.

No comments: