Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Spreading My Wings in the Air and Flying Away


Monday 6:00 PM


As I sit at this table at Round Table Pizza my mind begins to think about all of the things that separate women.  Most women claim that they don’t have many women as friends, because they don’t get along with them.  I notice that my cohort and I have many differences amongst this small group of young women, but we are still able to become acquainted with each other. In the beginning I was a tad bit apprehensive about the young women in my cohort.  However, when we came together and talked to one another we realized that we weren't  so different after all. Most of us have similar interests, play the same sports, and enjoy the same activities. This gathering helps me analyze the dynamics in relationships women have with one another in our society. Women can be so spiteful, but I want women to connect and learn how to work together. We tend to criticize each other, exclude women from our cliques, and find any minor dissimilarity to separate ourselves. This is not the case when it comes to my cohort, because we are well blended and I can already tell that this is going to be an amazing bonding and learning experience.

Tuesday 2:00 AM

As I lay awake in my bed I begin to think about all the things I wish were different involving women. One of the biggest issues in our society is the double standards that are clearly hindering most women today. I think that the severity of these double standards range from women not being able to formulate their own opinions and allowing their husbands speak for them to women not being able to get an education. If a woman gets assaulted it is, because she “provoked” the assailant to do so. These things must change in our society and hopefully through the duration of this program I can begin to find a solution. There are plenty of obstacles that women face every day based on the gender that we were born with which is out of our control. I hope that my action plan can change the prevalence of sexism in my community. I recently finished packing my last bag and I am ready to go experience what life is like on the other side of the United States. I am slightly nervous about meeting new people and participating in the activities. Reality is starting to sink in and my childhood is over. The decision to search outside my usual demographic was very difficult for me to decide to explore. No one in my family has ever gone away to college, so this is a colossal step on my behalf. I need to start planning for the future and go off on a journey of my own to become independent as well as find myself.



No comments: