Thursday, July 4, 2013

Patriotism

Although I did prefer class over a middle-of-the-week break, I still had loads of fun today. Unfortunately, that fun was started by an early morning wake-up call at 7. (Early for me that is.) The Summer@Brown program scheduled a trip to the beach for the 4th of July. The beaches in Rhode Island are a good bit better than the ones in the Bay Area. This is mostly due to the hot weather. It isn't very fun to go into the freezing San Francisco Ocean only to come out to an equally, if not colder beach. The water here was cold, but tolerable. What I took out of the trip, besides a slight sunburn, is that the beach is a great place for Brown students to spend their extra time. 

After our return to Providence, we walked down to the coastline to view the fireworks.  I'm not sure if I just don't remember the fireworks in California, but the ones here seemed to be a lot louder and brighter. I get the feeling that there's a much more patriotic feel on the East Coast than on the West Coast. The number of people screaming praise for America during the fireworks show was surprising and hilarious. It was a new and entertaining experience. 

Class starts again tomorrow, and I'm eager to return.

No comments: