Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Up, Up, and Away!

Today is my last night in the Bay Area before leaving for Brown. I am so full of anticipation, anxiety, and excitement all tangled together that it's hard to single out each emotion and understand what I'm actually feeling. It's difficult for me to tell if what I'm feeling right now, other than butterflies in my stomach, is more nerves about the W&L course, the drastically different weather, and the time change, or eagerness about the exact same things.

We leave tomorrow morning at 6:25 AM, which means I have to be up by 3:00. I don't think I've ever woken up that early in my entire life. Even though our flight is so early and long, I can't help but feel this feverish anticipation about stepping foot in Rhode Island, and getting to know all types of new people.

On Monday my cohort and I met at Round Table Pizza and received itineraries from Don and our chaperone, Ms. Neal. Receiving the itinerary sort of solidified the thought of going to Brown in my head, only now, it isn't just a thought: We are actually going to Brown. At Round Table Pizza, I also got to know my fellow cohort members. It's crazy to think that even a few days ago, I barely knew these people, but now, I already feel so comfortable around them, and I'm so glad that we get to share this experience together.

I cannot contain my excitement right now as I sit in the living room, listening to Doctor Who blare from the TV. Only the show means nothing to me right now. All I can think about is Brown, and everything I will learn on the trip. I hope to better my leadership skills, and be able to give effective presentations that will make people listen. As the new president of the community service club at my school, Interact, this could not be more relevant to me. I also am extremely excited about my Action Plan, and I cannot wait to put it into... Well, action.

Although I know this trip will be a total blast, and that I will learn so much about myself and the world around me, I am nervous about the plane ride, the course, and so much more.

On planes: My sister throws up literally the second the plane takes off. And, even though it's completely irrational, I'm worried that I might suffer the same fate. I absolutely hate throwing up. Not that most people don't, but I feel that I especially hate it.

I know I must get to bed early tonight in order to be able to function tomorrow morning, but I cannot stop thinking about the adventure I am about to embark on.

No comments: