Friday, May 3, 2013

Brownies' Dinner at Town Hall


May 2, 2013: Dinner with all the Cohorts, Brown alumni and sponsors. It was finally the dinner night for Brownies! I had mixed feelings of excitement and nervousness. Since being punctual is one the main things for ILCers, my mother and I left home early and arrived at the El Cerrito BART Station right on time (I was worried if we could make it on time). We then joined Don and other cohorts whom we could recognize from afar because of the dress up. As a group, we all headed to catch BART to the Embarcadero station.

After getting off, we had to walk for few minutes to get to Town Hall Restaurant. On the way there, I talked to a few parents and got to know our (Women & Leadership) chaperone, Tiffani Neal.

At the restaurant, we were guided to a private dining room where each of us were assigned a seat. I was seated in a table with Peter, Corynn, Nancy, Don, Ludmyrna, Alice, Carson & his dad. I talked to Brown alumni about how the Brown University works (admission, scholarships, study-abroad programs etc). It was a good opportunity to get to know these alumni and learn about Brown University. I felt comfortable sitting around adults whom I barely knew but I tried my best to keep the conversation going. During the end, there were some interesting conversations going around the table.

Ms. Kronenberg asked all the cohorts to stand up and give an introduction. We did not just hear from cohorts, but also from alumni and sponsors. We heard speeches from Duncan, Alicia & Mr. Ramsey. Duncan and Alicia did a great job and it is not easy work to give speech.
Moving on to food, I found it delicious! Being a vegetarian is hard work and I often have problems getting vegetarian food outside. But I was happy that they had good vegetarian food. After Dinner, we took group pictures with alumni, cohorts and sponsors and I tried my best to give a good smile :D

While returning back, the BART train was pretty crowded and there was barely a seat to sit down but we made it back to El Cerrito Bart Station. Thanks to Ms. Kronenberg for dropping me home and giving me ideas about Action Plans. I am definitely looking forward to this summer and experiencing the college life at Brown University.

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

It never ceases to amaze me, Shraddha, that no matter how many times I tell you all about how the people at these dinners will welcome you with open arms and will talk to you like an adult, you’re all still apprehensive and nervous. How long will it take before you learn to trust me?

It pleases me to learn that Town Hall was able to accommodate you and your mother’s vegetarian needs. When they served our opening course of gumbo, it was good but when I saw your salad, it looked pretty good, too. Maybe it’s just that I was coveting what someone else had. I had the same feeling as I was eating my chicken and seeing the great looking petite filets that the others were eating.