Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Meeting and Public Speaking

Well, tonight was exhilarating. I got to meet all of the ILC members from each college program, give a speech, and see the School Board in action. Many of the other cohorts seemed like cool people, and it's a shame we can't all go to the same college.The board meeting prior to the ILC bit reminded me of congress or other political bodies. I was surprised to see that I didn't have to go far from my home to view some interesting politics  I hate to say it, but most of the early events were overshadowed by my itching speech apprehension.

Giving a speech really shouldn't be that hard. I like to imagine myself talking to my friend to help calm me down. None-the-less I continually seem to psyche myself out over seemingly simple tasks. As far as I could tell, my speech wasn't half bad. I spoke from the heart and kept it short and sweet, but I did feel nervous the whole time. Hopefully through more experience, (possibly in the ILC) public speaking won't be nearly so difficult for me.

Interestingly enough, the best speakers, in my opinion, were the ILC alumni that were invited to the meeting. Their manner of speaking was laid-back and smooth, without being too informal. Either they didn't feel pressure because they were out of the program, or they picked up skills while in the ILC. I'm hoping for the latter, in which case I can follow in their footsteps.

Overall, it was an informative night, and I look forward to what more the ILC has in store for me.

No comments: