Friday, May 3, 2013

Candlelight Dinner with Brown Alumni


I woke up on this summer–like morning, wondering what tonight’s dinner would have in store for me. After I came home from school, I threw my dress on since I only had 30 minutes to get ready. As I was getting ready, I referred to the clock every two minutes. My main goal was to not be late for this event. I have been warned that I may have to face Evil Don (cue scary music). Luckily, my mom and I were ready to leave around 4:33pm.  We made it on time to the BART station and we waited for everyone to arrive. 

Fortunately, today's weather was fantastic! We took a nice walk in San Francisco to get to the Town Hall restaurant, which happened to have great food and a nice atmosphere. Although I successfully completed my first task, being on time, I faced another challenge. I needed to mingle with the Brown alumni.

As we were waiting to be seated, I was able to talk to a Brown graduate. Jim Sinai, the Brown alumni seated next to me, was very friendly and eager to offer information.  All the shyness that I entered the restaurant with, disappeared.  I wasn’t aware at the time but every ILC student had a Brown alumni seated next to them.   

Everyone at the dinner was so kind and I was relieved that it was so easy to speak to them. I was not intimidated at all!  I enjoyed listening to their educational background and what they are doing currently. Their advice was fantastic and I learned about a great medical program at Brown. 

After the dinner we took BART home, but unfortunately some of us split up. My mom and I followed Don. However, the other group arrived at El Cerrito thirty minutes earlier. Now I am at my computer, at 1 AM, because of Don (just kidding). All in all, tonight’s dinner was not only fun, but it was a great learning experience that added to my excitement for Brown.

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

It’s okay, Crystal. I’ll take full responsibility for screwing up and luring you and a few others to exit our BART car at a station where the transfer train wouldn’t arrive for 16 additional minutes.

And I’ll take full responsibility for leaving us to a BART train FULL of liquored up Warriors fans bedecked in their free yellow T-shirts.

While I’m taking blame, though, I’ll also take credit for anything good that happened tonight.