Wednesday, June 26, 2013

An Illusion

After living on Brown's campus for almost four days, I'm starting to see Brown with a peculiar perspective that I know is ephemeral. The Summer@Brown program is an extremely popular program around the world that many, many teenage students participate in. Because of this, the campus is occupied mostly by teenagers and very few actual college students. It's kind of strange and interesting seeing high school students occupy an Ivy League school. I occasionally have a feeling that I'm attending a very fancy high school boarding school. Maybe I'm over-thinking things and things are much simpler than what they seem to me.

Today was one of the few days that we're not working in the lab. We discussed some errors and the procedure. Our instructor helped us understand the purposes of the procedures in the lab. The discussion was very involved, and many of my classmates gave good explanations and asked good questions. One of the best part of this summer program is that most of the people here are here because they're interested in the class they are taking. Having to sit in one class for three hours feels very long compared to that of high school, but at the end of the day, I notice that it's not very much at all, considering I have the rest of the day to myself.

It's hard to believe that I've only finished my third day at Brown. I feel like I've been here all summer. In the next two and a half weeks, I hope I'll find the real image of Brown and erase the "illusion."

No comments: