Sunday, June 23, 2013

Dorm Experience

Yes, it's certainly a very new and unusual experience for me. Not only am I living with people whom I've met for the first time, but also am completely independent, meaning I have to take complete care of myself. For the next three weeks, I'll be taking care of most of my own meals, my own laundry, and my own possessions. I also have to get along with everyone else on my floor (probably won't be tough) and share a bathroom. Luckily, I'm not sharing a room with anyone, so I have a little more freedom. There won't be anyone to "hold my hand," take care of my things, and look after my well-being. This is as close as it gets for a high school student, as myself, to experience what it is like to live in a college dorm. I'm very glad I have the opportunity to gain the experience now rather than be at a loss when I move in to college.

The Brown campus was packed with young students in the morning when everyone was checking in. Later, I learned that many of the students flew in from other countries. In fact on my floor, about half of the students are foreign. After a few quick introductions, I learned that there were students from Japan, Indonesia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, and England. It is extremely diverse. I've already learned a few cultural facts from various countries. The summer program is also very well-planned. Every RA (resident assistant) has activities planned for the three weeks we're here.

I have said this before, but I can't shake off the feeling that I've only been on the East Coast for half a week. It has felt much longer But I'm finally starting my techniques in DNA-based biotechnology course tomorrow. Perhaps I should refresh my knowledge a bit. Anyhow, I have a feeling that it's going to be an amazing three weeks!


No comments: