Tuesday, June 4, 2013

No Drugs, No Alcohol, and the Usual

Don Gosney and Charles Ramsey
Don’t be late! The significance of punctuality was drilled into our heads while we waited for the Ivy League Orientation to begin. I always try to go by the motto “Being on time is late and being early is on time”. Unfortunately I have to admit, I have been guilty of being late. I have, however, learned from my mistakes and now I am always rushing my parent to leave the house.

Towards the beginning of the meeting, the chaperones spoke about their trips to the Ivy Leagues. One chaperone mentioned that during their visit to Columbia University, her students will be dining at one of the oldest restaurants in the United States. It seems to me that a majority of places on the East Coast have a significant historical background.
I always find orientations exciting because it means the event you are going to participate in is just around the corner. Eventually we divided into our specific cohort groups and Ms. Neal, the Women and Leadership chaperone, informed us of what to expect while at Brown. She told us that it is very unlikely that we will be on the same floor or in the same dorm as another Ivy League Connection student. On the bright side, this will give us all the opportunity to meet other students. It is interesting to meet other people with a different socioeconomic background as you. Not only will I be able to become closer with my Women and Leadership cohort, but I will also have the chance to meet other students from different sections of the world.

                        The Loaner Items 
After the meeting, we were able to look at the loaner items that Don displayed near the entrance to the multipurpose room. The items ranged from lamps to mesh or cloth laundry bags. It was as if Target regurgitated on the table. Not only are we able to visit Ivy League Schools, but we are being assisted in a multitude of ways. At each milestone event, I am reminded of how grateful I am to be involved in this program.

No comments: