Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Calm Before the Storm

In four and a half hours, I will be on a bus to San Francisco International Airport to board my flight to Chicago and then on the Providence.  I thought I would be more nervous.  The deficit of anxiety could be caused by my travel experience and my comfort flying, but I think it’s more likely due to how ready and excited I feel for this program.  I’ve been waiting for this for some time, and now that it’s finally here, it seems right.

            The lack of stress could also be due to my last few days.  I spent the weekend finishing getting what I needed for the trip, and the last two days I have just relaxed with my friends.  I spent a lot of time with my girlfriend, and the goodbye today was hard.  But I feel like I’ve gotten everything out of the way, and the only thing left is to wake up at the ungodly hour of 2:30 and make my way down to my high school.  Seeing as I am awake right now, that early start is going to be a little difficult, but I think once I’m up I should be fine.  And I’m going to have to force my(tired)self to stay awake until it’s the right time to go to bed, to adjust to the time change.  I’m fairly good at adjusting quickly though.

The next few days are going to be busy.  We visit all four colleges I mentioned before in the short span of three days, in the totally cool and completely moderate and comfortable East Coast climate, and I know we will be absolutely beat by the end of those three days.  And then comes orientation and the class, the part that I’ve been waiting for.

            I really feel like this class could change me academically and as a person, based on what I’ve seen in my sister and friends who have participated in this program.  I’m also just really excited to learn about economics!  I really do think that all the math and science and statistics behind the study of economics is intensely interesting, as well as the study of markets and their effects.  I really hope this class broadens my horizons as well as gives me an introduction to economics.  And it can’t hurt to put it on my college apps!  

I’ve made it through the calm, now here comes the storm.

No comments: