Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 2: Adapting

It's only my second day living on the Brown campus, but I already feel quite settled. Many things that I was uncomfortable and unfamiliar with are no longer a problem. I can easily find my way around campus, I feel confidant in meeting new people, and am more comfortable with using a semi-public bathroom. I think it's good that I'm getting used to things, but I should always try to be alert to learn new things about the campus and community. Otherwise, things might start to seem routine, which is very unlikely.

My first day of class was today. My DNA-based biotech class is in Brown's bio-medical center. Thankfully, we didn't jump straight into the course, and our instructor, Jody Hall, allocated a portion of our class for some review and icebreakers. We are actually required to learn the names of everyone in the class, which is around twenty students. We also took a short assessment test towards the end of class. I'm not sure if I just forgot some knowledge or haven't been learning biology for almost two years, but the assessment was extremely difficult; it was much more difficult than questions on the AP Biology exam. The course will mainly be labs, but if such advanced knowledge is required for the class, then I have some catching up to do. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Hopefully, I can manage to find a good balance between studying and enjoying my stay at Brown. 

No comments: